If this seems unlikely, bear in mind that North Runcton stands on a slight rise, and most of the village is 15-20 metres above sea level (a little less at the Common). To the south and west, before drainage, the land would have been marshy and very difficult to cross.
A "hrung" would have provided a route southwards across the Nar valley, naturally enough from North Runcton to South Runcton, 4 miles away. From there the land begins to rise again towards what is now Downham Market. North Runcton may have been a service station on an early version of the A10.
Runcton is referred to in the Domesday Book as Runghetuna; as Runget' in Pipe rolls of 1158 and as Northrungetone in death records of 1276.
There is a record (on an O.S. map) of a polished flint axe found at Hays Wood, between North Runcton and Blackborough End, in 1948.
In the Lands of Hermer: (North) RUNCTON Thorketel, a free man, held 2 c. of land before 1066. Always 11 villagers; 7 smallholders; 2 slaves. Meadow, 30 acres. Always 2 ploughs in lordship; 1 men's plough; 1 1/2 mills; woodland at 20 pigs; 4 salt-houses and one third of a fifth. Always 1 cob; 4 head of cattle; 27 pigs; 100 sheep. 1 church, 30 acres. 13 Freemen appertain to this manor, 37 acres. Always 1 plough. Value always £6 4s. The whole has 1 league in length and in width, of a 20s King's tax, it pays 12d. West Winch is in this measurement.
This extract is from a translation which was published by Phillimore, Chichester 1984. 'Domesday Book 33 Norfolk' ISBN 0 85033 479 9.