Runcton Hall from the north west
North Runcton Hall was built in 1835 by Daniel Gurney (1791-1880), (biography) extending an existing building on the site to an impressive home of 43 rooms. The work was done by architect Antony Salvin, and the grounds were laid out by William S Gilpin.
A record of life at the Hall is provided by the diaries kept by Laura Troubridge (1853-1929). In October 1867, Laura, her two sisters and three brothers lost both parents within a few weeks and went to live with Daniel Gurney, who was their grandfather. Laura's diaries and later memoirs were edited by her daughter, Jaqueline Hope-Nicholson, under the title "Life Amongst the Troubridges" and describe their arrival at the Hall; life there until Laura left in 1880; and the subsequent four years. Their grandfather was an elderly widower, yet despite the circumstances the book portrays a happy childhood and young adulthood. The children were not strangers to the Hall before they were orphaned, and "a visit to Runcton had always been considered next to Paradise itself".
The picture on the left shows Laura Troubridge in 1873, aged 15 (Courtesy of Tite Street Archives). Laura Troubridge married Adrian Hope, and as Laura Hope was a noted pastelist, undertaking several royal portraits. Life Amongst the Troubridges was reprinted in 1999. see book list
Letters of Engagement, a volume of letters between
Laura and Adrian while they were waiting to marry has been published
as a sequel, edited by Laura's granddaughter, Marie-Jaqueline
Runcton Hall from the east c.1930s (courtesy of Mrs June Yorke)
This floor tile from North Runcton Hall, manufactured by Minton of Stoke on Trent, forms the page borders for this web site.